Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Rodin and Our Lady

Dec. 8

I realized last night that I needed to date-stamp these myself, so as to keep myself synchronized.  This trip we have several evening events planned, so I'm experimenting with blogging first thing in the morning, about yesterday's events.

Speaking of yesterday, I got one of my trip wish list items checked off already--the Eiffel Tower in the mist.  It had been raining most of the day.  We found ourselves at a bust stop, and this view was right before me.  This trip is unlike our first two, being in a relatively low tourist season.  No lines, no heat; it's a great time to be here.

Most of the afternoon was spent at the newly renovated Rodin Museum.  We had been there before, but during renovations, when the museum house was closed, leaving us with only the gardens to meander through.  Now the full exhibit is on display.  The museum prides itself on being the only major museum not subsidized by the government; much of its income derives from renting out the casts of Rodin's work, limiting the number of copies of  each to twelve, thus preserving the value.  A couple of samples.

Rodin seemed to be an admirer of Victor Hugo (as am I), as there were quite a few representations of him. This one is simply titled The Master.

We wrapped up our day at one of our favourite places.  Every time I go here I have to remind myself that Quasimodo and Esmeralda were figments of Victor Hugo's imagination.  The occasion was an organ concert.  Since we had never heard this instrument, it was an obvious choice for us, being the lovers of pipe organ as we are.  But the experience was sadly unfulfilling.  I guess you pay your money and you take your chances.  The church itself, normally dark and gray (as are most gothic cathedrals, I suppose) was brightened by a set of very colourful tapestries:


Our plan tomorrow is to finally hit the Christmas market theme.  The photo on the blog is borrowed from someone else's trip in 2013; I hope to replace it with one of my own.

1 comment: